- We accept fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual arts submissions during the fall submission period.
- We only consider unpublished work. Please do not submit previously published material, including work published in anthologies, chapbooks, or online
- Thin Air reads blind. Please make sure your manuscript does not contain any identifying information.
- To get a better idea of our editorial focus, we encourage you to read past issues of Thin Air before submitting your work. You may purchase a past issue from us for $8 (includes shipping).
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If work you have submitted to us is accepted elsewhere, please notify us immediately via Submittable.
- We aim to review your work within 2-3 months. Please be patient with us—all Thin Air staff work on a volunteer basis, and strive to take great care with your work before making a decision.
- Due to the high volume of submissions we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally to every submission
Web submissions will only be accepted via Submittable. A team of editors review Submittable submissions throughout the year, and we vow to do our best to respond in a timely fashion.
FLASH, PLAYS, VIDEO LIT & ART: We accept flash fiction, nonfiction and poetry (up to 1000 words) as well as video literature (cinepoetry, video essay, art films, etc), photography and other visual artwork on an ongoing basis to be featured on our website. We do not accept work for Web Features with a word count in excess of 1000 words. DO NOT SUBMIT THE SAME MATERIAL TO THE WEBSITE AS YOU SUBMIT TO THE MAGAZINE. We only publish material that has not been previously published elsewhere. Please let us know if you need to withdraw your work because it was accepted elsewhere.
REVIEWS & INTERVIEWS: We accept pitches for audio/video/text/book reviews and author interviews for the website on an ongoing basis.
We reserve the right to consider publishing works featured online in forthcoming print issues of Thin Air Magazine.
Please include a brief, two sentence bio (fifty words) to run with all work, should your work be accepted. Include your Twitter handle and/or Instagram, if you have either.
For videos/films, please send a link to your piece(s) on YouTube, Instagram, Vine, Vimeo or DropBox. For art/photography, include links to your work on DropBox, your website, Instagram, etc. If you artwork is selected to be featured, we will ask for 6 different pieces to run with stories that month and write up a featured artist post with your work and link to your site/social.
Response rate times vary from one week to three months, depending on the time of year and volume of submissions.
We look forward to seeing your work!